Monday 10 February 2014

A cheesecake week


I know it's my second cheesecake post in a while, but I got a bit obsessed. I made three, THREE cheesecakes in the past week. I ended up buying more cream cheese anytime I went grocery shopping, saying 'I'll make a cheesecake later tralala', I always made it on that day.
I kinda created my own, easy cheesecake recipe and now I am trying new variations. One thing happens all the time - when it's ready and I take it out from the oven it looks perfectly pretty, but as it chills down, the top's breaking. all. the. time. If anyone knows why and how to avoid it, I'd be really happy to know! I wanna eat pretty cakes.
What I do basically is having a simple batter, and creating a thin layer on the bottom with a different flavour. So far, I tried chocolate and different jams. If you work with jam, however, you should prebake the bottom layer, otherwise it won't stay a bottom layer. When I tried it for the first time, the bottom and the top layer perfectly changed place!! It was sort of funny and now I know what to do.
I share my white chocolate vanilla cheesecake this time. If you want berry or any fruit flavour, replace the white chocolate with 1,5 tbsp. jam, and after pouring the bottom layer on the crust, prebake it for 8 minutes or so.
What kind of cheesecake is your favourite? 


White chocolate vanilla cheesecake
400 g Philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
250 g Digestive biscuits
100 g butter
90 g white chocolate

Grind the biscuits, and melt butter in a bowl. Spoon the grinded biscuits in the melted butter, and mix them together. Grease a spring form (I used a very small one), and cover it with parchment paper. Put a bit less than half of the crust mixture on the bottom, spread it and using the bottom of a glass, gently squeeze it down. Do the same on the sides with the rest of the crust. Put it in the fridge for 3 hours or if you don't have time, in the freezer for a shorter while.
Preheat the oven for 175 C.
Beat cream cheese for a minute, add sugar, vanilla extract and eggs, and beat together. Put approxiametly 1/3 of the batter in another bowl. Melt the white chocolate (in a pan or the microwave is fine), and mix it with the 1/3 of the batter.
Pour the white chocolate layer on the crust. Then very very carefully, spoon the plain layer on it. 
Bake for 50 minutes or until the middle is set. Let it cool completely, and put it in the fridge. The cooler the better!



No comments:

Post a Comment