Friday 18 April 2014

Me and my brownies.

Almost Easter!! Everybody happy? This is going to be the first Easter in my life I don't spend at home. I am quite sad, but also relieved that I will miss all the watering drama. The only Hungarian tradition I don't like.
I'm hosting an Easter lunch on Sunday, and I'm preparing with plenty of food. Since I am going to make them tomorrow I'll try to post them before Easter, so you may give it a try. I am definitely making kalács [ˈkɒlaːtʃ], a Hungarian sweet bread. Similar taste as brioche, but it has a very lovely braided form, you'll see. And also I am going to make doubled eggs or stuffed eggs or whatever is the correct English tense. The two favourite Easter foods of mine.

But today, it's time for brownies! I am not sure if I shared this with you guys but most of the cakes and sweets I've made in my life turned out to be great, but I had a struggle with brownies. I know, right. Brownies. Damn easy thing.
It has never been horrible. Or uneatable. It has been alright. But we all agree brownies is not a thing what is supposed to be alright. Whenever brownies is mentioned, everybody want to pass out and they start craving for a little slice of chocolate goodness. My brownies were okay, especially for a non-British or American family, where this cake is not traditional. They didn't have high expectations.
I did. And after so many semi-bad attempts, I started to try different combinations, creating my own recipe. I don't know how is the real traditional brownie, but in my head, it has no nuts. 90% percent of the recipes I ran into had some kind of nuts in them. Well, if brownies have nuts, my almond-chocolate Christmas cake is brownies, end of story. So what I was looking for is a perfect combination of chocolate, butter, eggs and flour. And yeah, it happened... as you might have guessed reading all this. Here is my perfect brownie.


For a small tray, double the measurements if you have a normal baking tray. This is finished by me in a day.

185 g plain flour
185 g butter
185 g good quality dark chocolate
70 g sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg

First thing. I put one egg because somebody in the halls has been stealing my eggs and I had only one left. It is not easy to cut the brownie when it is hot, but when it is cold, it is totally alright. However, feel free to add another egg.
Preheat the oven for 180 C. Whisk the eggs, add the sugar and whisk them together for a minute. Melt the butter with the chocolate (I used the microwave). Add the chocolate and butter to the egg mixture and finally add the flour and baking powder. Grease a tray, pour the mixture and bake it until ready. In my oven it requires 25 minutes, but in a better owen, 17-20 minutes is enough I believe. Keep checking, when the middle is set, it is ready.
Always have a glass of milk while eating it.





No comments:

Post a Comment